- Many direct-to-consumer startups have supercharged their marketing as online sales have thrived in the pandemic.
- Insider analyzed 2021 government data for some of the biggest DTC companies to determine what they pay top marketers.
- Salaries include $132,000 for a marketing director at Grubhub to $231,000 for senior director of brand marketing at Peloton.
- Subscribe to Insider to read the full story.
The direct-to-consumer space has been one of the hottest business categories in recent years.
Many have soared in the pandemic as consumers shift spending online. And DTC companies remain top destinations for marketing professionals, especially as ad agencies cut jobs and traditional brands lose market share to up-and-comers.
These businesses hire from around the world, and they are required to file paperwork, including salaries and salary ranges for all employees on visas, with the federal government — data the US Department of Labor’s Office of Foreign Labor Certification releases quarterly.
Insider analyzed 2021 data through the third quarter on permanent green cards and temporary H-1B, H1B1, and E-3 visas to provide a snapshot what some of the space’s top players pay marketers.
The salaries in this story are determined, in part, by “prevailing wages,” or the minimum companies are required to pay for the jobs in question. The Department of Labor uses these totals to protect US employees’ wages and prevent educated immigrant labor from being exploited.
These numbers don’t include every type of visa or any form of compensation beyond base salary.
Peloton paid a senior marketer $231,000
Peloton has seen its business explode during the pandemic as a growing number of consumers ordered its signature exercise bikes and other products while gyms around the world remained shuttered.
Here’s a sampling of the marketing salaries it pays:
- Senior director of brand marketing: $231,000
- Analytics engineer, marketing: $135,000
- Senior manager, software engineering, marketing IT: $195,000
Food delivery startup DoorDash paid a growth marketing manager $155,000 and Grubhub paid a marketing director $132,000
Food delivery companies like DoorDash and Grubhub have thrived as consumers shifted from dining out to delivery.
Here’s a snapshot of how they’re paying employees to market their services during the busy time:
- Growth marketing manager, DoorDash: $155,000
- Senior product marketing manager, DoorDash: $200,000
- Senior manager, strategic partnerships, DoorDash: $190,000
- CRM marketing manager, Canada, DoorDash: $150,000
- Senior associate, marketing, Grubhub: $89,000
- Director, marketing, Grubhub: $132,200
- Senior manager, marketing, Grubhub: $120,000
- Marketing analyst, Grubhub: $72,000
Instacart paid a product partnerships manager up to $220,000
Online grocery delivery also boomed under the pandemic as consumers turned to apps in place of visiting physical stores. Surveys show that more than 50% of consumers bought groceries online in 2020.
Instacart is the largest player by market share. It’s been on a massive hiring spree, and like other retailers, is also building an advertising business. Here’s a sampling of marketing salaries it’s paying:
- Senior marketing analyst: $120,000-$145,000
- Manager, account management: $120,000-$155,000
- Integrated marketing manager: $120,000-$145,000
- Senior marketing manager: $145,000-$170,000
- Paid search marketing analyst: $105,000 to $130,000
- Product partnerships manager: $180,000 to $220,000
Wayfair paid a senior partnership & growth manager $122,400
Consumers stuck at home during the pandemic have turned toward home improvement, leading to an unprecedented growth streak for DYI and home goods sellers like online furniture giant Wayfair.
Here are salaries and ranges for some marketing jobs at the company:
- Senior technical marketing analyst: $112,000
- Product and marketing analyst: $60,154 to $95,000
- Manager, product and marketing: $114,421 to $120,000
- Senior technical search marketing analyst: $90,000
- Senior manager, vertical marketing: $120,000
Poshmark paid a senior analyst $145,000 and Stitch Fix paid a data scientist $260,000
Online used clothing seller Poshmark has thrived by fast-tracking new features like a video component similar to Instagram.
Stitch Fix, a subscription service that provides customized fashion packages to members, has also fared far better than department stores despite some fulfillment challenges related to the pandemic.
These are salaries and ranges for their marketing jobs:
- Senior analyst, marketing analytics, Poshmark: $120,000-$145,000
- Associate director, marketing analytics, Poshmark: $210,000
- Data scientist, Stitch Fix, $260,000
Pet product retailer Chewy.com paid an associate director of marketing analytics $215,000
The pandemic has fueled pet adoptions and sales across the country, benefitting pet product retailers like Chewy.com.
Here’s what Chewy is paying marketing employees:
- Associate director, marketing analytics: $215,000
- Marketing data engineers: $91,100 to $100,000
- Associate director, marketing product manager: $184,000
- Senior marketing developer: $120,000-$130,000
- Senior marketing analytics manager: $165,000-$175,000